« Click to Next Article »

John Travolta's Extortion Case Declared Mistrial

John+Travolta in Jett Travolta Memorial In Ocala, Florida
UNDATED: In this handout from Rogers and Cowan, John Travolta (2nd L), his wife Kelly Preston (R) and their children Jett (2nd R) and Ella pose in this undated picture. Jett Travolta, 16, was reportedly found dead on January 1, at a family home at the Old Bahama Bay resort on Grand Bahama Island during a family. (Photo by Rogers and Cowan via Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Jett Travolta;Kelly Preston;John Travolta (Getty Images)more pics »The extortion trial surrounding the death of John Travolta's 16-year-old son Jett ended yesterday in a mistrial. A judge has ordered the two people accused of trying to extort $30 million from the Hollywood actor following the death of his son in the Bahamas will face a new trial “in the interest of justice.”

John Travolta's son Jett died in January. (Getty Images)
Senior Justice Anita Allen, who was overseeing the case, said she was forced to make the decision after a speech broadcast on the TV and radio hinted the jury would acquit one of the defendants. While the jurors were deliberating, she told the court: "We are concerned in the interest of justice that there has been a communication from the jury room. The dilemma that we face is great. I am erring on the side of caution. Justice must be transparent.”

Travolta is "upset" by how the month-long trial ended but vowed to "continue to cooperate fully with police.”

Paramedic Tarino Lightbourne, who was one of the medical team who treated 16-year-old Jett before he died in January, and his co-accused, former Senator Pleasant Bridgewater, allegedly demanded $30 million from Travolta and threaten to sell a story claiming the couple "intentionally killed" their son.

The jury was still deliberating over their decision when politician Picewell Forbes told an audience at a Progressive Liberal Party convention Bridgewater was a “free woman.” Immediately after Forbes made the claim, his party’s deputy chairman-elect, Alex Storr, apologized, announced the information was incorrect and no verdict had been issued. However, the judge felt she had to dismiss the jurors and order a new trial.

The group had spent a month listening to the case. Both defendants pleaded not guilty to charges of attempting to extort and conspiring to extort by means of threats. Senior Justice Anita Allen is yet to set a date for the retrial.

See more pictures of John Travolta here (click any picture):
  • John Travolta in 'Bolt' Los Angeles Premiere
  • John Travolta in 'Bolt' Los Angeles Premiere
  • John Travolta in 'Bolt' Los Angeles Premiere
  • John Travolta in 'Bolt' Los Angeles Premiere
  • John Travolta in 'Bolt' Los Angeles Premiere
  • John Travolta in 'Bolt' Los Angeles Premiere
  • John Travolta in 'Bolt' Los Angeles Premiere
  • John Travolta in 'Bolt' Los Angeles Premiere
View John Travolta Pictures »
« PREV NEXT »
Leave a Comment!