The Han Solo Star Wars spin-off movie is looking for its star, and it sounds like every guy in Hollywood under the age of 35 has been invited to try for the role. According to The Hollywood Reporter and other outlets, it’s the easiest audition to land right now as casting directors dig through literally thousands of actors to find the perfect young Han Solo.
Word is, they’re looking for someone who has at least a passing resemblance to a young Harrison Ford, who was 35 at the time the first Star Wars movie was released. Swagger and charisma are, obviously, also required. The list of names leaked is long, so whatever, we’re just going to put them all down right here:
• Dave Franco (21 Jump Street)
• Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Kick-Ass, Godzilla)
• Miles Teller (Whiplash)
• Nick Robinson (Jurassic World)
• Tony Oller (A TeenNick show called Gigantic)
• Chandler Riggs (Carl from The Walking Dead)
• Hunter Parrish (Weeds)
• Rami Malek (Mr. Robot)
• Landon Liboiron (Degrassi, Hemlock Grove)
• Ed Westwick (Gossip Girl)
• Tom Felton (The Harry Potter movies)
• Joshua Sasse (Frankenstein's Army)
• Logan Lerman (The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Fury)
• Ansel Elgort (The Fault in Our Stars)
• Jack Reynor (Transformers: Age of Extinction)
• Colton Haynes (Teen Wolf)
• Max Thieriot (Bates Motel)
In our office there is much debate over whether Dave Franco would be acceptable. This list feels almost like it might be a red herring, and LucasFilm will ultimately do what they did with Episode VII and find an unknown to bring onboard. That seems like the smartest move since EVERYONE has very specific ideas about what makes Han Solo the scoundrel we know and love, and a known actor would already bump into those ideas.
The movie is set to begin filming in January of 2017, and we've got more than another year after that to wait for the May, 2018, release date. So directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller (21 Jump Street, The LEGO Movie) have plenty of time to find the perfect Han.